On New Year’s Day we posted about how important it is for coaches and players alike to set specific, measurable, timely and written goals. Then we said that the next
step is to determine exactly what needs to be done to reach those goals.
Here are 5 steps that you can take to develop a workable plan of action. These steps have been borrowed from success expert Brian Tracy and are listed in Chapter 13 of his book Goals!
- Make a list of everything you can think of that you will have to do to achieve your goal. Leave nothing out.
- Organize your list by priority; what is the most important task or activity? The second most important? And so on.
- Organize your list by sequence; what must be done before something else can be done?
- Determine how much time and money it will take to achieve your goal or complete your task. Do you have the necessary time and resources?
- Revisit and revise your plan regularly, especially when you get new information or things are not going as you had expected. Be prepared to change if you need to.
This is a very simple and yet highly effective way to get organized and on track to accomplish your season and career goals. In fact, it is so simple that most people won’t do it – which makes it even better for those of you who will!