Long time head coach Ralph Willard, who is currently an assistant at Louisville, once talked about the “Circle of Opportunity” at a coach’s clinic in Myrtle Beach:
If we execute these 8 things we will win 95% of our games and have a chance to win the other 5%.
- Deflections – our goal is 40 a game. 40+ deflections equals a .900 winning percentage
- Block outs – we go back through game video and chart everyone on this
- Shot Contest – every shot the opponent takes needs to be contested on the ball side of their shot. Does no good to contest a shooter’s left shoulder if he is shooting with his right hand.
- Offensive Rebounding - everyone who can get to the glass needs to get to the glass
- Charges – chart how many times guys step up and attempt to take a charge and how many times they shy away
- Ball Pursuit – all 50/50 balls are ours! Great rebounders get in proper position and then pursuit the ball. Chart “Out of Area” rebounds and reward the leader
- Confidence – players must have confidence that they can win every game
- Transition Defense – no layups and no open 3’s in transition
There is nothing in this circle that we can’t do as a team and so I’m not asking you do anything that you are not capable of doing.