No basketball player can become great unless they learn and master the fundamentals of the game and so the fundamentals should be practiced throughout a player’s entire career. However, how you approach your workouts can also have a tremendous impact on your success.
TO get the most out of your basketball career, observe these simple rules:
- Believe in yourself and your eventual success
- Set your goals high. Think big. Aim to become the best YOU can be.
- Never give up on the outcome of any game. Be great, even in defeat. Display that “will to win”. Do your best in practice as well as in games. At all times be a good sport.
- Practice at every opportunity, especially in the off season.
- Ask your coach or qualified person to point out your weaknesses and help you work to improve them. Continue working on your strong points also.
- Try to learn the fine points of the game. No detail is too small to help you be successful.
- While shooting is important, do no concentrate exclusively on that phase of the game. Creating good shooting opportunities is just as important. Also, work for improvement in all fundamentals such as rebounding, passing, dribble and defense.
- You cannot have too much enthusiasm for the sport. However, your schoolwork comes first. Without good grades, your college choices may be at best limited or at worst nonexistent. STUDY EVERYDAY!
- Install a hoop and backboard in your yard, or frequent your playground to improve your game at every opportunity. You’ve got to play to become a better player.
Basketball is a game. The benefits are numerous and rewarding but above all, it should be FUN. Never lose sight of this fact and you will derive many years of enjoyment from the game.