The coaching staff of the University of Central Florida Women’s Basketball Team encourage their players to use the 10/50 Rule to improve their lives both on and off the court. This rule takes into consideration that you should always play to your strengths yet continue to work on your weaknesses. To implement the 10/50 Rule you should strive to improve those things that you already do well by 10% and decrease your weaknesses by 50%.
The players are taught that the first thing they must do is to make an honest evaluation of all their strengths and weaknesses. Then they are left with the following thoughts and ideas:
- There are certain things within their control and they must control the controllables.
- No one has to do anything incredible
- Everyone knows what they can get better at, and what they need to do less of or eliminate altogether.
- Do what we are asked to do 10% better.
- Don’t let the things that keep you from doing what you need to do occupy your mind.
- Make it happen before it happens.
- It takes work, not luck.
- As you start to think about organizing your spring and individual workouts consider using the 10/50 Rule to get a huge advantage over your competititon.